A Florida man says he’s spent nearly 20 years fighting to save the lives of other men who have been electrocuted by their own houses.
The man is suing his house for failing to properly handle the electrical current, a violation of Florida’s Safe Home Code.
The Florida man, who has not been identified, says his home is an “electrical hot spot” that he says he often experiences when he’s home alone.
He says he and his wife have been working on a project to improve the electrical safety in the home, which includes installing insulation to keep the house from overheating and to reduce the likelihood of electrocution.
He says he had been battling to fix the problem for years, but when he finally had a chance to do it himself, he decided to go ahead with it.
The home has been a safety hazard for years.
“I’ve spent thousands of hours, maybe tens of thousands of dollars, on this, and I just can’t do it,” he said.
The lawsuit says the insulation in the house has been installed by a company that sells products for electrical safety and installation, but the man says it doesn’t comply with the company’s warranty and that it was not properly installed.
He says that he went to a Home Depot store, which said the insulation had not been installed and that they would install it themselves.
After a month of trying to contact the company to see if it could be installed, he was told that it couldn’t.
So he called the company again, but this time the call went unanswered.
The lawsuit continues.
The Home Depot spokesman, Matt Osterholm, told ABC News that the insulation was installed by an outside contractor and the company “did not receive any warranty paperwork from this customer before this customer purchased the product.”
He said Home Depot has a policy against warranty fraud.
If Home Depot were to get sued, Osterhamson said, the company would take the time to get the homeowner a copy of the warranty paperwork so that they could investigate the claims.
According to the lawsuit, the Home Depot representative told the man that the company was unable to fix or repair the insulation.
Osterholm said that Home Depot did not return ABC News’ request for comment.